HOPE

"What oxygen is to the lung, such is hope for the meaning of life."

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The hand of the Lord was upon me!

In the way of judgment this may be the case, and, if so, I must consider the reason of such a visitation, and bear the rod and Him that appointed it. I am not the only one who is chastened in the night season; let me cheerfully submit to the affliction, and carefully endeavor to be profited thereby.

But the hand of the Lord may also be felt in another manner, strengthening the soul and lifting my spirit upward towards eternal things that I may in this sense feel the Lord dealing with me! A sense of the divine presence and indwelling bears the soul towards heaven as upon the wings of Eagles.

At such times I am full to the brim with spiritual joy, and forget the cares and sorrows of earth; the invisible is near, and the visible loses it power over me; the servant body waits at the foot of the hill, and master-spirit worships upon the summit in the presence of my Lord.

O that hallowed season of divine communion is vouchsafed to me this day! The Lord knows that I need it greatly. My graces languish, my corruptions rage, my faith is weak, my devotion is cold; all these are reasons why His healing hand should be laid upon me. His hand can cool the heat of my burning brow, and stay the tumult of my palpitating heart.

That glorious right hand which molded the world can new-create my mind; the unwearied hand which bears the earth’s huge pillars up can sustain my spirit; the loving hand which encloses all of the saints can cherish me; and the mighty hand which breaks in pieces the enemy, can subdue my sins.

Why should I not feel that hand touch me this day? Come, my soul, address thy God with a potent plea that Jesus’ hands were pierced for thy redemption, and thou shall surely feel that same hand upon thee which once touched Daniel and set him upon his knees that he might see visions of God!

Sheriff G Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment