HOPE

"What oxygen is to the lung, such is hope for the meaning of life."

Monday, January 31, 2011

LIFE IN THE VALLEY AND ON THE MOUNTAIN TOP!

In response to:

(The New York Times Tell us about the first place you lived in on your own. What were its benefits? What were its most memorable qualities? What impact has it had on your future?)

My Dad was in a hospital before I was born and he remained in the hospital for four years. I wasn’t allowed into the hospital so I didn’t see him until I was four years of age. On the day that I was born my Mom went into a coma. My aunt (My Mother’s sister) took care of me for a while.

Against all medical odds, my parents lived. Life, well it was as difficult, very difficult and there aren’t words to describe its hardship. No schooling, no shoes, many times no food! But Almighty God has a way of bringing good out of everything. Out of tragedy I was sent to America to help my older brother that got ill. I was 18 years and 4 months. He died on November 19, 1970. It was that tragedy that gave me an opportunity to go to school, take care of my brother’s two children, (18 months and 3 years of age). I got married in 1975 and after legally adopting my brother’s children that became my own, I had two biological children.

Some years later another brother got killed in the line of duty and he left four children. Three years later, my eldest brother died. (He too left four children) One year later my Dad died. However, through all the adversities, God provided and gave me the strength to raise directly four children and indirectly, another 8. Today, they are all grown up, married and have their own children.

Strange enough, it has been years since I have heard from anyone of them, though they are all on face book. So, you asked about how one’s life affected them! Well, I can only answer for myself and that is, whatever cards we are dealt with in this life, “we must play them, for there aren’t any others!”

I guess my lesson in this life is that “the same God that is on the Mountain top is the same God that has been with me in the Valleys, and the same God that has been with me in the bad times, opened doors and are with me in the good times.” So, be thankful for all of your life and never ever forget where you came from.

Remember; “A thankful heart is a content heart, and a content heart is a happy heart!

Sheriff Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment