HOPE

"What oxygen is to the lung, such is hope for the meaning of life."

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

“I MUST TRUST IN THE LORD AND WAIT PATIENTLY FOR HIM”

I ought not to dread the arrival of evil tidings; because if I am distressed by them, what do I have more than others? Others have not my God to fly to; they have never proved His faithfulness as I have done, and it is no wonder if they are bowed down with alarm and cowed with fear: but I profess to be of another spirit; I have been begotten unto a lively hope, and my heart lives in heaven and not on earthly things; now if I am seen to be distracted as others, what is the value of that grace which I profess to have received? Where is the dignity I claim to possess?

Again, if I should be filled with alarm, as others are, I would be doubtless, be led into sins so common to others under trying circumstances. The ungodly, when they are overtaken by evil tidings, rebel against God; they murmur, and think that God deals hardly with them. Will I fall into that same sin? Will I provoke the Lord as they do?

Moreover, unconverted people often run to wrong means in order to escape from difficulties, and I will be sure to do the same if my mind yields to the present pressure. I must trust in the Lord and wait patiently for Him. My wisest course is to do as Moses did at the Red Sea, “Stand still and see the salvation of God.”

For if I give way to fear when I hear of evil tidings; I will be unable to meet the trouble with that calm composure which nerves for duty, and sustains under adversity. How can I glorify God if I play the coward? Saints have often sung God’s high praises in the fires; but would I be desponding as if I had none to help?

I magnify the Most High and take courage, relying in sure confidence upon the faithfulness of my covenant God! “Let not my heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid!”

No comments:

Post a Comment